Question - Strange Question
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Last Man Standing Coop Forum Index -> Off Topic Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rannar-Doom

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:59 am    Post subject: Question - Strange Question Reply with quote

I submit the thread here considering that I am uncertain where to post this. If it is not in the appropriate forum or if it is not appropriate itself, please handle it appropriately.

One may presume that playing Doom III would involve being mature, controlled, and tolerant (if not passive) to some of the gameís attributes. I have enjoyed the game and I think it is a fun game, I also understand that much of these attributes used to help create the atmosphere in the game.

Something I have found among other users who play Doom III, even me, is the desire that some of these attributes be able to be controlled. Now this is where I get a little hesitant, I am presuming there is going to be a harsh response to this and I suppose this cannot be avoided, but these attributes I write of are the use of the pentagrams or other visual designs in the game.

The blood can be controlled, the graphics can be controlled, the sounds can be turned off, and even with most other things in the game it isnít that bad considering the story plot. Although, it seems to me that it should be possible to either block, deactivate, or replace these pentagram images through some means or method. Please tolerate my ignorance of game design or the limitations of the Doom III program itself.

I have searched around for something similar to this, but I havenít found what I have been searching for. This question has been instigated in me by conversation with my friends, to me a pentagram is a symbol that I put little meaning or value into. So I hope this is not perceived as being superstitious or scrupulous. Possibly someone could give an answer to my question?

Even better would be if this were possible simply put this together or could point me to a place where this could be downloaded. My appreciation and thanks in advance for anyone who contributes to an answer or solution. Likewise my apologies and consolations in advance for any frustration or problems caused by this topic...
calimer
Mod Team Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can just replace the texture with something blank. This will mean though that you can't join or have people join your LMS servers since your data will be different. (though techically you might be able to get away with something using an unpure server). The first thing is locate where in the /base pk4s (they are really just zip files) the pentagram texture is. Then you need to put a blank texture with the exact same folder structure as is in the pk4 and the same name. So you don't need to delete it out of the pk4, but you do need to make folders such as /textures/doom3/pentagram.tga for example if that's how it is structured inside the pk4. Enjoy.
-calimer
Come and talk to us on IRC
Visit our Moddb Page
Rannar-Doom

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your punctual and detailed response, calimer, as you were before. Although, before I go searching do you have any suggested program for accessing these files or unzipping them?
iten
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to unzip them with WinZip or any other program you might normally use to open .zip files.

If you are having trouble getting the program to load the file, you could try renaming the pk4's to be zips. That is, if you had a file called "foo.pk4" you would rename it "foo.zip."

I doubt you need to be too worried about a harsh response; I think any reasonably mature person wouldn't judge you based on a question you were asking. Besides we're all friends here aren't we :)

As for editing the file itself, most image editors like Photoshop or the GIMP will be able to modify the texture file.
calimer
Mod Team Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorites are 7zip and winrar for free archiving programs. For graphic programs I like The Gimp. You could really replace the pentagram with anything, even happy bunny pictures or something. If I get some time I could try to find out where they were. One of the doom 3 pk4s in base has a textures folder, it would probably be in there, or possibly FX. Take care.
-calimer
Visit our Moddb Page
calimer
Mod Team Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a few of them in base/pak004.pk4 in decals. There is symbol 03-06 (not sure if those letters bother you too, but they are listed directly above it) Also spawndecal.tga and spawndecal_burn.tga. Not sure if that is all of them since I don't really play the SP levels. I would really recommend not deleting them out of there since then you're changing the pk4 checksum. In base just make a /textures/decals/ folder and put in blank images with those names I listed. Take care.
-calimer
Visit our Moddb Page
calimer
Mod Team Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOO triple post. I just did it all for you because I felt like it. Just put this pk4 in base and you should be set. As a note I added in removing the symbols/writing too. You can delete them out of the pk4 if you wanted them still in game. Here you go:
http://platinumarts.net/pak008pentfix.pk4

Let me know if I missed any. Take care.
-calimer
Visit our Moddb Page
Rannar-Doom

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have extracted the files, reconfigured them (transparent tablet), and then added them back to the compressed archive. Although, it does not appear to do anything in the actual game play, in means of the modification to the files or the transparent tablets. I did use the modification that was offered but it did not seem to offer any change either. Possibly someone is ignoring my ignorance in this matter or something is not happening that ordinarily ought to.
calimer
Mod Team Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You weren't supposed to edit your doom 3 base pk4s!!! I stated this in my first post that you only need to recreate the directory structure. Now you won't be able to play Doom 3 with anyone else. To get your pk4s back you'll have to reinstall doom. By changing the pk4s you changed the checksum. That's why I made you your own pk4 so you could change that when you wanted. I did remove those pentagrams like you mentioned, I even gave you the file names and locations. I asked for you to make mention if I missed any and instead you just went through and messed up the checksums on your pk4s. I don't know why you said my change did nothing when it certainly does, and didn't just tell me if other stuff was missing to take out.
-calimer
Visit our Moddb Page

Last edited by calimer on Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rannar-Doom

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was already attempting to change such files before I was aware you even offered such a modification. I apologize for my ignorance, even though I backed up the files before I did anything. Even though reinstalling Doom III is something that happens frequently for me. I am sorry to cause you any trouble or frustration. Thank you for your explanation...
calimer
Mod Team Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well in my first post I said how to do it, and it involved NOT modifying the pk4s. My pk4 does take out the pentagrams and so if something was missed why not just say what instead of saying it doesn't work.
-calimer
Visit our Moddb Page
Rannar-Doom

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I did use the modification that was offered but it did not seem to offer any change either. Possibly someone is ignoring my ignorance in this matter or something is not happening that ordinarily ought to.
Possibly because I was not certain in what was being asked, therefore I assumed that I was doing something wrong so I sought clarification. I did not claim it did not work, rather that it did not seem to work in the manner I used it. I am sorry again...
calimer
Mod Team Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Just put this pk4 in base and you should be set. As a note I added in removing the symbols/writing too. You can delete them out of the pk4 if you wanted them still in game. Here you go:

Visit our Moddb Page
Rannar-Doom

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

During this time I have placed the exact file downloaded into the Doom 3 directory, base file, extracted the file placing it in the directory, placing it in the base file, and have even attempted changing its name several times. In all of theses attempts I did not notice any visible change, namely loading UAC Administration and looking below the player as it spawns and going to the room where one picks up William L. Banks PDA.

I do seriously and honestly appreciate your toleration of me in this and attempting to understand what I am encountering...

With all of this done and attempted, I am uncertain what I am to do once again...
calimer
Mod Team Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone that wants it is updated and has every pentagram removed that I could find. Enjoy:

-calimer
Visit our Moddb Page
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Last Man Standing Coop Forum Index -> Off Topic Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: