Last Man Standing Standalone - What are your thoughts?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Last Man Standing Coop Forum Index -> General Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
calimer
Mod Team Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject: Last Man Standing Standalone - What are your thoughts? Reply with quote

As I'm sure some of you know there has been a lot of discussion on a possible LMS Standalone version. If it were to happen we'd use Platinum Arts Sandbox as a base which can be found at http://Kids.Platinumarts.Net As a note the latest release received over 3k downloads at the fileplanet mirror alone and it hasn't even been out two weeks.

We are very interested in finding out what kind of interest LMS Standalone would get and who would be willing to help out. There is also the possibility of going ahead with a Legends: Game Arena type game, or having both as a part of LMS Standalone. Let's hear your thoughts. Also what would you want to see in a LMS Standalone? Feel free to ask any questions. Take care and thanks for your time.
-calimer
Come and talk to us on IRC
Visit our Moddb Page
[CVG]Anton
LMS Fanatic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would be a bonus to either do Legends first or LMS stand alone and Legends only because Doom 3 is done with and no more patches are coming out. But when Id releases Doom 4 then another LMS MoD (LMS 5.0) would be called for I think.

I would like to see Platinum Arts develop beyond a Doom 3 MoD team and I think it will happen with a LMS standalone and/or Legends.

HTH
"(@)'(@)"***|(@)(@)**''(@)
Stealth.Sniper
LMS Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a little confused about the whole concept of "standalone" - like, what does that really mean? Completely separate from doom 3 minus the engine?
Mod Team Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It means that you only need to download LMS and you can play it. It means that no one has to buy doom 3, or any other engine to be able to play it. Go and download Sandbox. That is the standalone engine we want to use. Take care.
-calimer
Come and talk to us on IRC
Visit our Moddb Page
mikemetroid5565

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its an idea..
I really don't know at this point. Because Doom 4 might not come for awhile.
and Standalone sounds like lots and lots of work.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you should stay with id Tech 4.
It will be open sourced, probably for the next quakecon 2008!
(check this http://www.linuxgames.com/news/feedback.php?identiferID=9374&action=flatview )

And if this is going to happen, you know that the community will keep the engine alive and will improve it so that it will say up to date.

If idTech4 is open source, there will be nothing in the way to do a standalone version.

So I would wait, and already rebuild the assets of doom3 which will stay copyrighted.

best regards
Oli
Blasto007
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know much on either. But I'll agree with Anton on becoming a seperate team ourselves. Of course it would be nice when D4 comes out that we can advance on it with another LMS. The standalone sounds awsome. Tho all I can do is maybe help with ads and testing for the most part. As far as creating things like levels or more basic, cad work, I'm useless. I could help with designing and as sharing ideas. Tho if it is going to be on the Sandbox, I already have some experience working with it when Calimer first released it.
When I'm finished with the video I'll look more into it. later Cool
deadite4

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A standalone game would be a great idea if you have the team to do it. I'm not familiar with the Cube2 engine at all, and I'm not sure who's still left on the team(dev wise) but you would need just about all new assets from scratch plus code work. If you can find the people, I would say go ahead and do it.........would be a worthwhile experience to complete a full standalone game I would think.
Son, someday you will make a girl very happy, for a short period of time. Then she'll leave you and be with new men who are ten times better than you could ever hope to be. These men are called musicians.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Last Man Standing Coop Forum Index -> General Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: