GDC Day Four/Five *now with pics!!*

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Last Man Standing Coop Forum Index -> General Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MercyKiller
Mod Team Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:49 am    Post subject: GDC Day Four/Five *now with pics!!* Reply with quote

Well, yesterday and today were both huge. As Hobbes previously posted, we were fortunate enough to pull off a victory at the mod competition, which is a very exciting achievement, not only because Doom3 CC is an excellent mod (I'd encourage a visit to their site: http://doom3cc.planetdoom.gamespy.com ) but also due to the awesome conditions at the IGF.

Anyway, for a more step-by-step tour of the previous two days:

I started off yesterday waking up moderately early and getting to the IGF expo floor around nine, even though we were scheduled to demo from 1:00 pm to 5:00. After looking around a bit, I went back to the hotel and returned in time to see the Exhibit floor. Not too much going on there, though some cool companies were showing off stuff (Nvidia's quad SLI, among other things). The action really started to heat up at one, when we showcased LMS in front of both developers already in the industry and a wide assortment of other interested parties. IGN showed up to interview calimer about the mod, and I had the pleasure of showing off SuperMaggots for an extended period of time while he did the talking. We had printed out some flyers to give out, with a short info blurb and the site URL on them - those were both snapped up by passing attendees and forced upon innocent bystanders by calimer Wink. One dude even showed up to get some tech help with 3.0 as he wanted to play it with his son. I was a bit surprised, but hopefully the advice we gave helped out. It's really cool to see such a great variety of people interested in LMS. Anyway, yesterday's demo session was pretty successful and calimer ended up with a ton of business cards, which is awesome for getting contacts and whatnot. One dude from GarageGames even stopped by and we launched into a conversation about Torque. Their new level editor is supposed to have a ton of cool stuff in it, primarily script driven and thus extensible.

OMG! Obviously you don't want to hear me rant forever about that stuff, so let's get to the actual VIP dinner and awards ceremony. Calimer, BlueWolf, Iten, and I walked across the street to the VIP dinner area as soon as our demo session was up. Obviously, we saw other mods such as Doom3 CC and HL2's Dystopia there. We sat in front of both the "Shadow of Colossus" and "God of War" developers in the VIP area, which was pretty cool. When the awards ceremony started, the mods were first in the line up. Small gameplay clips of each HL2 mod played on a rather large movie screen like projection, and finally Dystopia was announced the winner. Next up was *gasp* the amazing Doom3 category. Both LMS and D3CC clips were played, and we were all in tremendous suspense while waiting for the winner to be announced. After hearing "Last Man Standing Coop" coming out of the mic I spent the next ten or so minutes in a daze. Though we had been hoping for the win for quite a while, it still came as a shock. We walked up there as a team, which I'm not sure the awards organizers were expecting. Calimer's interesting gesture after his speech was also quite funny. After receiving the award we were quite literally agressively dragged off the stage by one of the IGF people, which was pretty funny. Calimer apparently thought that the metal stand for the glass award thingy was a hat O_o. After receiving the award we went back to our seats and realized that there were some famous people in the same room as us. Richard "Lord British" Garriott received an award, and Gabe Newell of Valve fame spoke on the podium. Overall, the awards were pretty crap awesome.

Today, we were scheduled to demo from nine to one, with an interview with MTV from 1 to 1:30. The demoing obviously went well, and the interview was pretty damned sweet. Interestingly enough, I randomly bumped into my ninth grade history teacher turned MMO guru while picking up a backup interview computer, in case something went wrong with itens ;P. Obviously I snagged one of his business cards and we talked a bit, which was cool.

Anyway, this post is probably about three pages by now, so I'm going to shut up and let the other guys fill you in on anything I missed. Peace out.

Last edited by MercyKiller on Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Master
leet Beta Tester

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The link to Doom 3 CC is not working. Is the site down at the moment or is that link wrong?

Anyway, it's GREAT to hear we won! It is also great to hear that you got to talk with a lot of big people.

Of course, after reading this I am hating myself even more for not being able to go. *Bangs head against the wall rapidly*.

THE LMS MOD IS THE BEST MOD FOR DOOM 3!!

See? Told you it was a great Signature.
Hobbes
Mod Team Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MercyKiller's link has an extra ")" at the end which broke it. Here is the updated link until he can edit his post.

http://doom3cc.planetdoom.gamespy.com/

Hobbes
mixa
leet Beta Tester

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

really awesome guys. So calimer was behaving in strange way there? well thats thats... thats--- good commercial material for lms, I hope.
oh wait...
Quote:
Calimer's interesting gesture after his speech was also quite funny. After receiving the award we were quite literally agressively dragged off the stage by one of the IGF people, which was pretty funny. Calimer apparently thought that the metal stand for the glass award thingy was a hat O_o.

Mr. Green hahahahahaah goddamm you guys Very Happy. why they dragged you out of there ?

AND OH
we are waiting for those pics, you fuc*ing bich*s Twisted Evil.

and thanks to skutarth about abivideo's covers

BurN
Mod Team Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh man thats so awesome, calimer text'd me saying we won and i freaked out, then i shut up before my teacher kicked me out of the class.
I'm gonna try and see if somehow the thing was televised online, or if there is someway i can see it, its soo awesome. and did calimer wear it on his head while he was giving his speech?i'd die laughing if he did.
so calimer messaged me saying you guys had a hectic schedule, just be sure to have fun and dont get arrested Very Happy. oh and what mixa said, take some more pics for us Very Happy.
MercyKiller
Mod Team Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately gmail wasn't able to deliver the 24 meg photo zip that I sent to BurN, so here's something to tide you all over while I get the pictures to him.

The well-illuminated stage, with BlueWolf72 off to the side.
BurN
Mod Team Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah sorry about that guys, gmail acted up and i fell asleep. but nonetheless here they are. I modified some of the pics so that you could see who was at the table, I couldn't believe it myself. as a note mercykillers camera takes insanely high res pics and i gotta scale them down, and when you scale them down it loses the detail, hence why i enlarged portions of the pic.

I know mercy posted this, but OMG look who was on the top left!
high-tech orange board in the middle, newground guys on the left, bluewolf on the right... can you spot calimer?

from left to right, AO, MercyKiller, Calimer, and Iten. The gray black black gray pattern not intentional.
oh and the guys on the top right, look to the next pic.

ZOMG!!!

they say the ghosts of the upper balcony still haunt it to this day, good thing LMS had vip seating Very Happy.

Calimer holding up the Award!! oh wait..

Calimer holding up the Award!! We won!!!!
Big congrats to the LMS team, and to everyone who helped out.
We knew our mod was da bomb, but now its official Very Happy.

Also a congrats to the Doom CC team, they were the ones who were finalists aswell. They have a great and unique mod, if you havent checked them out be sure to here: http://doom3cc.planetdoom.gamespy.com/
Herr_Virus
LMS Fanatic

Location: My home is "Machuset" a store wich Mac computers there with internet connection

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on making the best mod ever wihtout LMS
I would buy Doom3 on Xbox instead!!!

'There is no God, The only god that exist is the godcheat'

http://www.lmsmd.moddb.com/
spunky

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way to go guys...and Calimer...Congrats
mixa
leet Beta Tester

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very good job Very Happy

and thanks to skutarth about abivideo's covers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Last Man Standing Coop Forum Index -> General Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: